Greg Maloka Receives Top Jazz Honour
On August 24th, Standard Bank Joy of Jazz and MNS Attorneys honoured eleven extraordinary individuals who as pioneers have continued to build, support and grow the arts in South Africa. Kaya FM’s Managing Director, Greg Maloka, was one of the evening’s honouree’s where he was acknowledged for his remarkable work in promoting the arts across the airwaves.
“We haven’t even began to tell the story of jazz, and having launched Jazzuary.fm — as Kaya we are very proud to maintain our part in this game, and hope that our contribution makes the industry bigger,” expressed Maloka. In addition to honouring Sam Mhangwani, Maloka also paid tribute to his father, and his late brother adding, —” had it not been for those two guys I would know nothing about jazz”.
The award comes at a felicitous moment in time – as both Standard Bank Joy of Jazz and Kaya FM celebrate 22 years.
The full list of people honoured alongside Maloka include:
- Diane and Mike Rossi recognised for their support of jazz education.
- Michelle Constant for her support of businesses and arts.
- James Ngcobo for his long-standing theatrical contribution to the arts.
- Simnikiwe Sondlo, honoured for preserving jazz venue Niki’s Oasis Jazz Restaurant.
- Sam Mhangwani recognised for producing a sustainable music festival.
- Mncedi Zulu who was recognised for his long standing appreciation for jazz.
- Sam Nhlengethwa for his appreciation of jazz, through visual arts.
- Siphiwe Mhlambi’s for supporting the genre though capturing jazz icons with his lens.
- Yvonne Chaka Chaka for her lyrical and humanitarian contribution to the arts.
“MNS Attorneys is really proud to be supporting deserving individuals who have contributed immensely to jazz. This is our second year of supporting the Jazz Honours and it is wonderful to be able to associate ourselves with this award and have the opportunity to honour the people who are contributing to the arts,” said Mncedisi Ndlovu, Chairman of MNS Attorneys.