ACCES: A melting pot of global musicians and industry experts
12 Nov 2019 MUSIC
By Zuko Komisa
ACCES (Africa Conference for Collaborations, Exchange and Showcases) is the leading pan-African music business event organised by the Music In Africa Foundation in a different African city every year and this year it is going to be bigger and better.
With music industry professionals from more than 50 countries set to travel to Accra, Ghana, this year is going to be one to remember.
Akon is one of the leading speakers at this year’s event and will be joined by top Ghanaian musicians and experts such as Sarkodie, Efya, Samini, Kyekyeku, John Collins, Ebo Taylor, Bibie Brew and Wanlov the Kubolor.
Speakers and facilitators at ACCES 2019 will be
- Chocolate City vice-president Aibee Abidoye (Nigeria), Ditto Music founder and CEO Lee Parsons (UK),
- Airforce1 Records managing director Joe Chialo (Germany),
- Gallo Music Group general manager Rob Cowling (South Africa),
- Boulevard Festival co-director Hicham Bahou (Morocco),
- TRUE Africa founder and editor-in-chief Claude Grunitzky (Togo/UK),
- Simfy OTT music services head Oye Akideinde (Nigeria),
- Boomplay Ghana manager Elizabeth Ntiamoah (Ghana),
- Nyege Nyege Festival co-founder Derek Debru (Belgium/Uganda) and Grammy-nominated musician, author and rights activist Mark Levine (US), among many others.
Every year ACCES gives a platform for artists to showcase their talent to a diverse audience and will this year feature an eclectic and bold line-up of showcasing artists.
Confirmed artists for ACCES 2019 include:
- Mokoomba (Zimbabwe),
- Songhoy Blues (Mali),
- Gato Preto (Mozambique and Ghana but based in Germany),
- Arka’n (Togo),
- Sibusile Xaba (South Africa),
- Ifrikya Spirit (Algeria),
- Lúcia de Carvalho (Angola but based in France), and Bholoja (eSwatini), as well as locals Yaa Yaa, Kyekyeku & Ghanalogue Highlife, FOKN Bois, Cina Soul and FRA!
See full programme here: ACCES 2019
Honouring Ghanaian music legends
The Music In Africa Honorary Award ceremony kicks off the conference by awarding Ghanaian legends Ebo Taylor and Bibie Brew for their outstanding contribution to their home country’s music industry and that of Africa as a whole. They will join previous award recipients Baaba Maal (2017) and Eric Wainaina (2018).
Remember ACCES is free to all Africans. However, online registration is mandatory.