Try something new: “Glamping” for the Afropolitan
Camping. Sounds intimidating. The idea of pitching up one’s own tent in a bush somewhere or searching for a portable toilet in the dark with a tiny torch puts people right off. But there is a new kind of camping in town: “Glamping.”
Glamour camping is a less strenuous way of enjoying nature splashed with just enough adventure to make you ‘feel’ like you went camping.
Here are five glamping sites that you and your family can visit during the holidays:
- Gorah Elephant Camp. Eastern Cape: Expect optimal opulence at this glamping site. There are large tented suites and African style decor with a gorgeous view of the African landscape. Here, you are be served a full course meal for your indoor or outdoor dining experience. That’s all very fancy, but here’s the fun part, guests get to go on safari game drives.
- Tented Tree House. Knysna: This site is a sure way to bring out your inner child. The bedrooms inside the treehouses are tented,they have bathrooms, kitchens and lounges. These creative tree houses are located in the forest as part of the Garden Route National Park. You won’t be cut off from the world either because they have Internet access, cell service and radio. You can enjoy hiking, bird watching or go on a safari.
- Lion Sands Game Reserve. Kruger National Park: Lodges are booked but for a real sense of adventure, guests can book a treehouse for one night as an activity. It is the perfect getaway for a unique, romantic experience or for a bit of serenity. Guests are dropped off at these gorgeous treehouses, welcomed by a delicious gourmet picnic and left to enjoy nature till morning. Animals are a secure distance away, but do wander around the vast landscape every now and then, but don’t worry, a radio is left with guests incase they need to call for the field guard.
- Airstream Rooftop Trailers. Cape Town: If you’re not looking to bond with nature, this is the out-on-the-town adventure for you. These trailers are on the rooftop of The Grand Daddy Hotel full of creativity and the feeling that you’ve been whisked away to a fun-filled, vintage haven. Watch a movie while sipping on bubbly at The Pink Flamingo Rooftop Cinema. Tickets include a welcome drink, sweets and popcorn and excluds a picnic basket and bubbly. For a little more adventure, book one of their sister lodges: Jaci’s Safari Lodges and Cheetah Plains Private Game Reserve for a little turn on the wild side before settling down in your unique, luxury trailer.
- Scarabeo Camp, Mobile Camps. Morocco, Africa: Step a little further out of your comfort zone and into Morocco. Scarabeo Camp sets up a pop up camp and dining experience for you. They put up luxuriously furnished canvas tents for small groups. Bathrooms, full service catering and customised activities are also provided.
So go ahead, spoil yourself and your family this holiday with a luxurious adventure.