Some reasons why you have got to love this country
By Tunicia Phillips
There are loads of reasons that make hating South Africa quite sensible. Pricey tariffs on everything, deep inequality, a racism legacy that still plagues our dining conversations and social media activity- and maybe we don’t know who’s worse between the ruling party and those fighting for the thrown.
So with all that doom and gloom, here are a few reasons why you just have to love this place sometimes, at least a little: #ClassicSA
- We laugh together, even in the most serious of times.
- Someone hired a mentally unstable interpreter for arguably the biggest state funeral in the world. And we had a great laugh.
- Despite the colluding and scandals, we actually had a great World Cup!
- Thanks to the EFF, I meet more young people who always know what’s happening in parliament. And laugh about it.
- Parliament has become more entertaining than Comedy Central
- We voluntarily dismantled our nuclear weapons. Point out another country that has?
- Our comedian hosts one of the biggest American shows now and hasn’t left his accent behind. We laugh about it.
- The international community still thinks Africa is a country, and we’re walking alongside lions and leopards. So we laugh again.
- We walk around in the cradle of mankind, among dinosaur fossils and prehistoric humans- this is where it all started!
- Our president has the last laugh, always.