News wrap- 16 November 2015
Severe thunderstorms with hail and strong winds are expected today in Gauteng and some parts of the country.
This follows a week of heatwave with temperatures above 40 degrees.
Hailstorms and strong winds have hit Pretoria following a warning by the South African Weather Service.
It says the cooler conditions are due to the cold front, which has hit the south western parts of the country.
Large hailstones hit Limpopo last night.
HULETT TO CUT SALARIES AMID DROUGHT
Sugar Producer Tongaat Hulett plans to cut salaries as the ongoing drought hits profit.
The firm’s half year profits declined by 10 percent to R1.3 billion.
This will affect areas such as employee salaries and wages, transport, marketing and other goods.
The company has also been hurt by lower sugar prices for its exports into the European Union market.
GOVT. TO SPENT R2.2 BILLION ON MAIZE
More than R2.2 billion will be spent by government to import maize into the country.
Five provinces have already been declared disaster areas as the country reels from the effects of the worst drought in 23 years.
Government says it will bring in white maize from Zambia and Mexico and ship in yellow maize from Argentina and Brazil.
Minister of Agriculture Senzeni Zokwana says many of the areas hit in these provinces are maize producing.
REBUILDING OF KYA SANDS SHACKS THIS WEEK
The restoration of the lives OF Msawawa residents in Kya Sands begins this week.
Gauten Human Settlements MEC Jacob Mamabolo says the rebuilding of their shacks will start this Wednesday following a devastating fire last week.
Mamabolo announced that the delay in rebuilding the shacks was due to assessments to establish the amount of households affected.
The Department of Home Affairs will today provide mobile office to process ID books, birth certificates and other related documents.
SECOND OFFICER DEAD TODAY
A second police officer has died this morning – with atleast four officers attacked since Saturday
In the latest incident – a female officer was shot and killed by the boyfriend in the early hours of this morning
This follows the death of an officer hijacked and shot on his upper body by a group of armed men at the weekend – he too died this morning
Police say while no one has been arrested for the hijacking and shooting incident – a 40 year old man is in police custody and is believed to be the slain police officers boyfriend
ESKOM WILL CONTINUE TO RECEIVE WATER
Eskom will continue to receive water at a 95% security level as expected.
Eskom CEO Brian Molefe says although this year’s summer is expected to be hotter than last year’s, the power utility plans to meet demand for electricity 100%.
He says the utility continues with its maintenance programme without load shedding.
Eskom traditionally conducts maintenance on its power stations during summer when demand is lower than the winter months.
Earlier this year, the utility was forced to impose almost daily power cuts that hurt economic growth.
But Eskom insists that it does not anticipate any load shedding until April, next year.
UJ PROTESTS TO CONTINUE
It seems there’s no end to the protest action at the University of Johannesburg
Workers and students have once again vowed to continue with the protest action today
This comes after talks with the university’s management broke down on Friday – that evening a night vigil at the main campus in Auckland Park was held – and later turned violent
Students are calling for an end to outsourcing and registration fees.
Some Lecturers at the university have come out in support of the students
RELIEF FOR MTN
Mobile service provider MTN can relax for now.
The Nigerian authorities have postponed today’s deadline for MTN to pay the 5.2 billion US dollars imposed on MTN Nigeria by the Nigerian Communications Commission
It has been agreed that the imposed fine will not be payable until the negotiations have been concluded.
MTN’s Chris Maroleng has advised shareholders to continue to exercise caution when dealing in the company’s securities.
MANHUNT FOR SALAH ABDESLAM AND ACCOMPLIC
A huge manhunt is currently under way for surviving members and accomplices of the Islamist group that killed 129 people in Paris on Friday.
Police have named Brussels-born Salah Abdeslam as a key suspect.
He was reportedly stopped by officers in the wake of the attacks – but then let go.
France launched a massive airstrike in Syria yesterday – after ISIS claimed responsibility for the coordinated attacks in Paris which left 130 people dead
French Prime Minister Manuel Valls says Friday’s attacks by IS militants in Paris were planned and organised from Syria.
He says authorities believed new terror attacks were being planned in France and other European countries.
Valls says 150 raids on suspected militants had been carried out across France this morning.
A huge manhunt is under way for surviving members the Islamist group, including key suspect Salah Abdeslam.