News Wrap- 08 December
OSCAR PISTORIUS GRANTED BAIL
Murder convict Oscar Pistorius has been granted R10 000 bail. The high court in Pretoria has found that Pistorius was not flight risk and that he has been complying with his house arrest conditions. He is expected to appear again in court on the 18th of April next year. This is to update the court on the progress of his Concourt appeal. Pistorius is currently under correctional supervision after he spent almost a year in prison.
Legal expert – Nqobizitha Mlilo says Oscar Pistorius has been treated unfairly and unconstitutionally. Mlilo says Pistorius’ bail conditions should not be imposed as that of a convicted murderer because he is going to appeal. This is after the State argued for stricter bail conditions – following the Supreme Court of Appeal judgment last week. State prosecutor Gerrie Nel told the court – that because he is convicted of murder he should not leave the house. Mlilo however argues that once an appeal is launched – the order of the SCA should be suspended.
GENERATIONS ACTRESS ALLEGEDLY KILLS SCHOOL
A well-known Generations actress has apparently crashed and killed an 18 year old student near the N3 highway last Friday. According to reports, the accident happened on the R554 road to Leondale when the student was crossing the highway to visit a friend. The pupil was confirmed dead at the scene by emergency services. Ekurhuleni Emergency Services confirmed the incident but say the matter has been referred to the SAPS for further investigations.
DRUG TO PREVENT HIV GETS THE OFFICIAL NO
For the first time in history, South Africans can now take a pill to prevent HIV. This pill known as Truvada has been approved by the Medicines Control Council. The control council says it had approved the drug at a recent November meeting. The drug is already being used in combination with other ARVs as treatment for HIV‚ but has not been licensed legally for prevention. The drug which prevents HIV works effectively if taken daily. It has been approved as prevention by the US Food and Drug Administration in 2012. The prevention pill has faced opposition in the US from the AIDS Healthcare Foundation which said it encouraged gay men to become promiscuous. The foundation called the gay men who used the drug “Truvada Whores”. The same foundation flew to South Africa to campaign against the drug at the Durban June Aids conference saying Africans would not take it properly. But now South Africans can prove them wrong because their doctors can prescribe the drug as wprevention.Aspen applied to the Medicines Control Council for the use of the drug as prevention in December 2013. It has taken two years to be approved.
ROUND-TABLE WILL AIM TO RESOLVE MARIKANA
In a bid to resolve the Marikana civil claim debacle, government lawyers have invited legal representatives of all claimants involved in the case to a round-table discussion. This has been revealed by the presidency. Spokesperson Bongani Majola says they want to resolve the claims in a manner which is transparent, effective and expeditious. Majola says the meeting is expected to take place before January 29 next year.
DID PHIYEGA DECEIVE THE PUBLIC
The board of inquiry set up to investigate suspended police Commissioner Riah Phiyega is expected to probe whether or not Phiyega deceived the public by withholding information about the Marikana killings. According to the presidency – the inquiry plans to investigate whether she intended to mislead the public – and making them believe that all the deaths occurred at scene 1. The commission was appointed by President Jacob Zuma to look into the allegations of misconduct levelled against Phiyega
LADYS BLACK MAMBAZO NOMINATION
Choral music group Ladysmith Black Mambazo has been nominated for yet another Grammy. The group has been nominated in the World Music Album category for its latest album. The group established in 1960, has won four Grammy awards in recent years. This is their 16th nomination Lady Smiths Black Mamabazo spokesperson – Sibongiseni Tshabalala spoke to Georgie in the Afternoon
DONALD TRUMP’S MUSLIM US BAN CALL SPARKS
There has been a storm of condemnation from Republicans after presidential candidate Donald Trump called for a ban on Muslims entering the US. Rival candidate Jeb Bush called Trump unhinged while Former US Vice-President Dick Cheney said it goes against everything they stand for and believe in. The White House, UN and Muslim leaders also criticised Trump’s statement. Trump said many Muslims nursed a “hatred” towards America.
US TO ROLL OUT NEW TERROR ALERT SYSTEM
In the US – Obama’s administration has announced that it will be implementing a new terror alert system. According to authorities – the system will help inform the public about threats to the United States. The new system will become the 3rd terror alert system that has been put in place since the September 11 attacks. The announcement follows the mass shooting in California – which police have declared as a terrorism investigation.