Morning News Wrap Up – 8 April – Morning
In efforts to curb young people from being recruited into radical militant groups – state security minister David Mahlobo says parents should keep a close eye on their children’s social media activity.
Mahlobo says his department is concerned about terrorist threats such as the ISIS
This comes after a 15-year-old Cape Town girl was allegedly recruited by ISIS and was stopped from boarding a flight out of the country at Cape Town International Airport.
The girl had reportedly run away from home and authorities were alerted about her disappearance
Mahlobo says these groups are highly dangerous and constantly use social media to recruit young people.
Transport Minister Dipuo Peters is expected to announce the road crash and fatality statistics for the Easter period in Pretoria later today.
Thousands of motorists took to the country’s major roads heading to various destinations over the Easter long weekend.
On Monday Johannesburg Metro police reported 556 drunken driving arrests in the city .
The Road traffic management corporation reported that 350 cars and a 1000 buses were impounded in their operations this weekend.
Last night seven people died and three others sustained injuries in a collision on the R38 between Badplaas and Barbeton
Emergency services provider ER24s Chitra Bodasing says they attended to a lower number of emergency calls this Easter Weekend.
The raging debate over the removal of the Cecil John Rhodes statue at the University of Cape Tow is expected to be concluded today.
UCT council will make a final decision on whether to remove the statue or not.
Last month, students dumped human waste on the statue and embarked on a series of protests calling for transformation.
Last weekend, the university Senate passed a proposal recommending the permanent removal of the statue and for it to be handed over to the government’s heritage authorities.
EFF members have taken responsibility for the vandalism of the Paul Kruger Statue in Pretoria and another statue in Port Elizabeth.
The Eff’s Mbuyiseni Ndlozi explains.
Patricia Mkhulisi the woman who died in the Nigerian church building collapse last year will finally be laid to rest this weekend.
This after questions were raised by her family which believed they had been given the wrong remains
The family approached a lab for a second opinion which has confirmed that the remains are those of their loved one.
Mkhulisi was among 85 other South Africans who died when a Nigerian church building collapsed in Lagos in September last year.