Morning news wrap: 19 March 2015
Ramaphosa on electricity
Deputy President Cyril Ramaphosa says Eskom is racing to recruit as many skilled people as possible, regardless of their skin colour.
Responding to questions in the National Assembly, he told MP’s he was not aware of so-called “backroom”, race-based retrenchments taking place at Eskom, though there had been voluntary retrenchments.
Earlier this month, it was reported that Eskom was planning to reduce the number of white engineers to comply with new government requirements.
Eskom has since denied it has a policy of retrenching employees based on race.
On load shedding, Ramaphosa said government was pursuing all feasible ways of supplying electricity.
Local government and Eskom are hoping to reach an agreement with residents in Protea North Soweto today.
Residents there are demanding a flat rate from Eskom for pre paid power before they allow the utility to switch them over to the new electricity boxes.
On Monday four residents were arrested for public violence following demonstrations in the area
MMC for Infrastructure Development Matshidiso Mfikoe says they have met with Eskom and community leaders to consult on the matter.
This resident in Protea north spoke to KayaFM news ahead of the meeting today.
School Fails to Tackle Issue of Bullying
The failure of a local school to tackle bullying in its early stages has come back to haunt the institution.
A learner at Danie Theron Primary school near Kibler Park fell victim to this malicious act when he was forced to drink urine by his peers.
The incident allegedly took place at the schools playground where a teacher was supposed to be supervising the learners.
The concerned parents of the learners say they tried without any success in previous years to highlight the problem of bullying in the school.
The parents say the school has failed to protect their child and bullying is a problem which needs to be tackled with speed
IS SOUTH AFRICA AMONGST THOSE KILLED IN TUNISIA?
Government is in touch with the South African embassy in Tunisia.
Media reports are suggesting that a South African is amongst the people killed in the Tunisian terror attack.
Gunmen allegedly wearing military uniforms killed 19 people when they stormed Tunisia’s national museum yesterday.
Nelson Kgwete is with the Department of International Relations and Co-operation.