Making news this morning: 16 February 2015
Rea Vaya bus drivers
Striking Rea Vaya bus drivers have been dismissed following a disciplinary hearing.
Operating company Piotrans said yesterday, “all those workers found guilty of misconduct have been dismissed with immediate effect”.
Around 158 drivers abandoned their buses two weeks ago without explanation.
Piotrans at the time said the drivers had not communicated their grievances to management.
The company said it instituted disciplinary action against the drivers who “abandoned buses in the streets of Johannesburg and absconded from work since February 2.”
The majority of bus drivers failed to heed the call to appear before a disciplinary hearing.
The drivers were found guilty of various offences including failing and refusing to drive the route that was issued to them, failing and refusing to park the buses in the prescribed authorised area and purposely attempting to sabotage the company’s services.
Piotrans says it has initiated recruitment processes starting today.
Sixty-five bus drivers remained in the employ of the company.
The elections in Lesotho will go ahead as planned at the end of this month following an agreement between feuding parties in the mountain kingdom.
SADC Facilitator, Deputy President Cyril Ramaphosa was able to convince the Lesotho Defence Force, police and political parties to put aside their differences.
Lesotho has been marred by incidents of violence in the past few months following an attempted coup.
Earlier in February President Jacob Zuma hosted a delegation from the coalition government led by Lesotho’s Prime Minister Tom Thabane, in President Zuma’s capacity as chair of the SADC troika organ on politics, defence and security co-operation.
The election will be taking place two years sooner than originally expected, as agreed in the accords.
Deputy President Ramaphosa says he believes Lesotho is ready for a free and fair election process.
Egypt Avenges Isis Kilings
Egypt says has admitted to bombing Islamic State targets in Libya.
This comes hours after the group published video showing the apparent beheadings of 21 Egyptian Christians.
State TV said the dawn strikes had targeted camps, training sites and weapons storage areas.
A video emerged on Sunday showing a group wearing orange overalls being forced to the ground and decapitated.
IS militants claim to have carried out several attacks in Libya, which is in effect without a government.
The kidnapped Egyptian workers, all Coptic Christians, were seized in December and January from the coastal town of Sirte in eastern Libya, under the control of Islamist groups.
Earlier, President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi said Egypt had the “right to respond” against IS.