Full list of public protector nominees released
There will be 59 people vying to fill public protector Thuli Madonsela’s shoes.
This after the list of candidates was whittled down from candidates who declined and those who did not respond to their nominations, Parliament’s public protector ad hoc committee said on Tuesday.
Members of the public have until July 8 to make objections to any of these candidates.
Committee chairperson Makhosi Khoza said there were 73 nominations by Friday, and seven candidates had declined.
These included former finance minister Nhlanhla Nene, prosecutor Gerrie Nel and former first lady Graça Machel, she said.
She said candidates such as former President Thabo Mbeki were not formally nominated through the process, but verbally, and therefore were not considered.
“The Committee is very impressed with the calibre of nominees and applicants received and this is an indication that South Africans thoroughly applied their minds in putting forward their nominees,” she said.
“The CVs will be released on Parliament’s website. We are all trying to get the best public protector.”
She said over 90% of the candidates met the requirements.
Candidates would receive a questionnaire to complete and return it to the committee to help with the shortlisting process and interviews
The questionnaires are also due July 8.
Khoza said they would like to have the shortlisting of candidates done as soon as possible thereafter.
The committee will do interviews after the August 3 elections and have until August 31 to present a candidate to the National Assembly.
Madonsela’s term ends October 1.
The full list of candidates nominated for the post of Public Protector:
1. Bernard Peter Agulhas
2. Adv Rhulani Ralph Baloyi
3. Melanie Bernard (Fryer)
4. Prof Narnia Bohler-Muller
5. Vincent James Botto
6. Adv Nonkosi Princess Cetywayo
7. Raymond Edward Chalom
8. Prof Pierre de Vos
9. Judge Sirajudien Desai
10. Phillip Dexter
11. Adv Pumeza Futshane
12. Adv Andrea Gabriel SC
13. Nombonisa Gasa (nomination declined)
14. Adv Mathys Johannes Gildenhuys
15. Adv MT Goodman (nee Shai)
16. Pregs Govender
17. Adv Mojankunyane Gumbi
18. Prof Alexander Mzamo Gumbi
19. Adv Mark Andrew Hawyes
20. Nick Haysom
21. Adv William Andrew Hofmeyr
22. Adv Zarina Kellerman (nee Prasadh)
23. Adv KB Kgoroeadira
24. Ashook Kirpal
25. Burt Silverston Laing
26. Ms Muvhango Lukhaimane
27. Graça Simbine Machel (nomination declined)
28. Adv Zwelethu Madasa
29. Adv Thuli Madonsela (term not renewable)
30. Prince Sefako Mafojane
31. Zola Majavu (nomination declined)
32. Adv Mohale Joseph Maluleke
33. Adv Kevin Sifiso Malunga
34. Lynnette Gail Marais
35. Busisiwe Mkhwebane
36. Vickqus Nkosikhona Mncube
37. Adv Hishaam Mohamed
38. M Mohlala-Mulaudzi
39. Justice Yvonne Mokgoro (nominated declined)
40. Adv Chris Madibeng Mokoditwa
41. Ronnie Samuel Mokoena
42. Thokwane Phineas Post Moloto
43. Tjitlo Monaledi
44. Audrey Mpofu
45. Adv Dali Mpofu SC
46. Adv Loyiso Khanyisa Bunye Mpumlwana
47. M Mthebule
48. Adv MM Mthembu
49. Themba Phillip Mthethwa
50. Adv Philani Pilatu Sydney Mthethwa
51. Janine Kim Myburgh
52. Krish Naidoo
53. Gerrie Nel (nomination declined)
54. Nhlanhla Nene (nomination declined)
55. Malcolm John Sphiwe Nhleko
56. Sophy Moipone Noko
57. Vuyokazi Pamella Noncembu
58. Nokuthula Sincercia Nwaoshai
59. Mthuthuzeki Moshesh Nyiki
60. Jill Claudelle Oliphant
61. Adv Vusi Pikoli (nomination declined)
62. Kaajal Ramjathan-Keogh
63. Tshepiso David Humphrey Ramphele
64. Riaz Achmed Saloojee
65. Jonas Ben Sibanyoni
66. MBoiki-John Tamako
67. Bawinile May Thabethe (nomination declined)
68. Adv Tseliso Thipanyane
69. Adv Randal Titus
70. Khunoana Harry Tswago
71. Vuyisa Vuza
72. Hermanus Lambertus Waldicks
73. Justice Sharise Weiner
Source by Kaya FM from www.mg.co.za