Forays into the French Alps
Are you dreaming of hearing the crunch of fresh snow beneath your skis or feeling the icy gust of mountain air against your face as you hit the slopes of the French Alps? By now you know that the Kaya Travel listener tour is headed to the French Alps with Bob Mabena, Mo-G, Somizi and Skhumba as your hosts. And if you know that then you also know our itinerary by heart. You know about the skiing lessons, about the lounges, the night of dancing with your favourite Kaya presenters on the decks, mixing good tunes.
If you have been thinking about what else you can cram into your seven-day adventure in the French Alps, we’ve got you covered. Here’s a list of the top things to experience over and above the activities Kaya Travel has planned. Wander and soak in the culture, amazing places to see and museums to visit. Don’t forget to bundle up!
- At 4 807m above sea level, Mont Blanc is an impressive reason to visit the Alps. If the highest point of the French Alps isn’t overwhelming enough, then make sure you visit the spectacular circular limestone mountain Cirque du Fer-à-Cheval. These sights can change your life!
- The food. Ooh la la! Think locally-made cheese, freshly caught salmon from the Alpine lakes, and wines, the likes of which you’ve never savoured before.
- Go hiking. There a plethora of hiking trails waiting to be discovered in the northern Alps with picturesque vistas to enjoy. Do it for your Instagram.
- Go exploring! With numerous towns filled to the brim with ancient castles, you’ll be spoilt for choice. Discover the medieval town centre of Annecy, which not only boasts a 14thcentury chateau, but is also considered the paragliding capital of the Alps. Or visit the Mer de Glace (Sea of Ice) in Chamonix, one Europe’s largest glaciers. Take a dizzy ride on one of the highest cable cars in the world to the summit of Aiguille du Midi or immerse yourself in the natural hot springs in St Gervais.
- Need a touch of culture? Make time to stop in at Musée des Beaux-Arts in Grenoble which boasts works by Goya, Tintoretto and Velásquez, as well as Matisse, Miró, Renoir, Monet and Picasso.
- When all the skiing gets to be too much, then a relaxing visit to Aix-les-Bains is a must! As a spa town, Aix-les-Bains not only boasts some of the world’s finest modern spa establishments but it makes it onto our list for its incredible natural springs.