ANC-led Nelson Mandela Bay rejects DA’s application for anti-Zuma protest
The Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality on Wednesday rejected an application made by the Democratic Alliance to hold an anti-Zuma protest outside City Hall in Port Elizabeth.
The protest action was meant to take place on Thursday.
In a statement released on Wednesday the DA said that an application to hold a protest at Vuyisile Mini Sqaure in front of City Hall was submitted early last week.
The protest together with the DA march for change in Johannesburg was set to take place on Friday, and formed part of the opposition party’s “defence of the Constitution” and “against the corruption of Jacob Zuma’s ANC”.
An alternative venue, the Donkin Reserve, was proposed by the DA but this was rejected by the municipality, allegedly for security reasons.
DA mayoral candidate for Nelson Mandela Bay Athol Trollip dismissed the notion that the protest would pose a security risk.
“Danny Jordaan’s ANC-led municipality is protecting Jacob Zuma from public action against his corruption and constitutional abuse,” Trollip said.
“The spurious reason given is that the DA protest would be a security risk, during a week when ANC ministers have descended on Nelson Mandela Bay. This is dismissed with the contempt it deserves. Using this spurious reason is an abuse of state security protocol, and shows how Mayor Jordaan will protect Jacob Zuma and the ANC at all costs,” said Trollip.
“This mass action is clearly an inconvenient threat to the ANC and the DA will not be deterred,” he said.
On Friday, the DA will lead a march through Johannesburg to the Constitutional Court, led by DA leader Mmusi Maimane.
Head of campaign communications Kristoff Adelbert said that the DA would hold a press conference outside City Hall in Port Elizabeth on Thursday morning. – African News Agency (ANA)