Afternoon News Wrap: 23 March 2015
COSATU TO OPPOSE ESKOM TARRIFF HIKE
Cosatu is expected to oppose Eskom’s application to raise electricity tariffs from July 1.
The embattled utility says it had asked the National Energy Regulator to reopen its multiyear price determination this financial year because of funding constraints.
Eskom says electricity tariffs will increase 12.69% for direct customers and 14.25% for municipalities from July.
More troubles are continuing for the utility, its board passed a vote of no confidence in chairman Zola Tsotsi a week after he suspended its top executives.
Cosatu spokesperson – Patrick Craven
METROBUS STRIKE LOOMS
The City of Joburg has finally broken the silence following a wave of strike.
It started with Rea Vaya bus drivers when they abandoned their buses in Joburg streets, downing tools.
Its now workers at the Johannesburg Roads Agency who demand a pay progression system and the removal of depot manager.
Another strike action by Metrobus workers is looming.
Kaya FM’s traffic reporter Kgomotso Meso has more.
TSOTSI MUST BE FIRED
Eskom Chairperson Zola Tsotsi, is a non- executive member who has incurred Eskom into losses of money
This is word from the National Union of Mineworkers, calling for on Public Enterprise Minister Lynne Brown to fire Tsotsi.
Tsotsi is being accused f interfering in operational matters and taking over executive responsibilities
Last week , Eskom’s board passed a vote of no confidence against the chairman, who announced the suspension of four senior executives.
NUM’s general secretary Frans Baleni explains.
HEWITT GUILTY OF RAPE AND ASSAULT
Former tennis champion Bob Hewitt has been found guilty of two counts of rape and one of sexual assault by the South Gauteng High Court sitting in Palm Ridge.
Hewitt was on trial for the alleged rape of two of his former students in the 1980s, and the sexual assault of a third woman in the 1990s.
He gave tennis lessons to the girls.
But he pleaded not guilty.
As KayaFM’s Khayelihle Khumalo reports Judge Bert Bam told the court that the State’s evidence against the accused is overwhelming.
NIGERIA’S ELECTION TO BE HELD AT THE WEEKEND
The countdown is officially on for the Nigerian elections which will be held over weekend.
President Goodluck Jonathan is facing a strong challenge from the opposition candidate Muhammadu Burahi.
Elections were scheduled to take place last month, but the electoral commission postponed them due to insecurity threats by Boko Haram militants who have killed thousands of people and occupied three states.
Embattled President Jonathan remains confident that he will win the elections.