13 powerful tweets from #FeesMustFall
Today is the 8th day since students at Wits University began protesting against the tuition fees hike proposed for the 2016 academic year. Out of the #WitsFeesMustFall movement and ones that have been happening at the University of KwaZulu-Natal, Rhodes University, Stellenbosch University and the University of Cape Town through out the year, the #FeesMustFall movement was born.
Owing to its accessibility, social media has been the hub where information has been shared. Catalogued with the #FeesMustFall and #NationalShutDown hashtags is information about gatherings, protest routes, calls for supplies (food, water, data), solidarity from international students and — now as police force has gotten stronger in some cases — tips on how to deal with tear gas.
Here we bring you 13 powerful tweets from the #FeesMustFall Movement.
- We are fighting to give these police officers children a chance to attend UCT. #UCTFeesMustFall— Khumo Mampuru (@Khumo_Mampuru) October 19, 2015
- Seeing my brother on tv shouting “SHOOT US” made me cry. I called my mother, in tears. THIS IS A REVOLUTION 🏾🏾🏾🏾🏾— Nicole Davy (@NicoleDaniellah) October 21, 2015
- My mom is telling me to stay in room while my dad is telling me how to deal with teargas <3— 21.Oct.2015 (@WhoIsSibu) October 20, 2015
- “Careful. Careful. Sorry.” – my toddler, to the TV, as he watches cops using riot shields to push students. My heart.— Gogo (@noksangoma) October 21, 2015
- #Witsfeemustfall movement prays in solidarity with all the injured, arrested and violated students in the country. pic.twitter.com/8SLRMREvii— Impi isesendeni (@fistvoices) October 21, 2015
- How do you focus on exams when you aren’t even sure you can afford to come back again the following year?#UPrising https://t.co/xo4H3Gu0zz— #UPrising (@ThoLI_Tee) October 18, 2015
- Our parents support us, don’t tell us about our parents telling us to focus on our books 🏾 pic.twitter.com/d0AMuvhlCw— #FeesMustFall (@Sinesipho_) October 20, 2015
- Guys let’s not forget Fort Hare students got an email ethi if one hasn’t paid at least 60% of their fees they won’t write exams in 2 weeks.— Babalwa (@Beemagqwanti) October 14, 2015
- Witsies please be reminded that tonight we #OccupySolomonHouse bring your study materials for #ProtestnPass Sizo funda ngenkani— Rethink Africa @Wits (@RethinkWits) October 20, 2015
- Happening now at #SolomonHouse. Can’t people in power see how desperately we want an education? #WitsFeesMustFall pic.twitter.com/BWT1NuhnQR— Simamkele Dlakavu (@simamkeleD) October 20, 2015
- I left varsity for 2 years because my single parent couldn’t pay fees for 2 children. Yes,it’s personal #FeesMustFall #UKZNFeesMustFall— princess négritude (@Sihle_Mahogany) October 22, 2015
- After the 3rd round of stun grenades in parliament precinct today, a single voice started singing. It was chilling. https://t.co/suxcA3X173 — Sarah Koopman (@sarah_koopman) October 21, 2015
- Our parents at NMMU just told us we will be your human shields if it comes to that #NMMUShutDown #NationalShutDown #FeesMustFall — Sanele (@Ssanel) October 22, 2015